Horizons Regional Council chairman Bruce Gordon is completely unfazed by aspects of the council's One Plan being appealed to the High Court.
There was no need to fear expensive legal bills for Horizons, because it would not be defending the Environment Court decisions being appealed by Federated Farmers and Horticulture New Zealand.
The council will be asked to provide information if necessary, and will not have lawyers in the court. The same process was followed when points of the plan were appealed to the Environment Court.
The appeal by the two rural organisations can only be made on points of law.
"We will work with the judge's decision either way. If there are points of law that need to be clarified, then I encourage them to follow whatever means are required," Mr Gordon said.
Meanwhile, the council must present the procedures it will use to implement the plan to the Environment Court by October 30. That deadline is unchanged by the appeal.
When the Environment Court has approved the plan it will become operational, except for those points under appeal.
The appeal drags out a process that started in 2007 and has cost $9 million so far in consultation, mediation and the Environment Court process.
A High Court date is likely to be months away.
Wanganui's Horizons councillors, Greg Cox and Bob Walker, will be watching its progress.
Mr Walker said his main concern was the cost of the plan, and how long it was taking. He heard $13 million had been spent so far.
Mr Cox said the cost was $9 million, and he was watching and hoping that common sense would prevail.
"We will not destroy the environment and industry all in one hit. There has to be some moderation on both sides.
"Nobody wins a stoush like this."
The Chronicle was unable to contact Horizons' Ruapehu councillor, Mike Plowman, for his opinion.